World Nomads Travel Insurance
Ah, the age-old travel insurance question. Visit any travel discussion forum and about once a week you’ll see this topic come up. The truth is there’s no magic answer. Different people want/need different degrees of travel insurance. For example, I carry a lot of expensive, delicate tech around with me and if the little Thai island boat I’m on sinks, I want to make sure I can get all that stuff replaced.
I’ve chosen to partner with World Nomads simply because they have an impeccable reputation. They’ve formed lasting relationships with other travel companies, like BootsnAll and my own Lonely Planet, and they do a great job designing the right travel insurance for individuals, particularly adventure travel, covering overseas medical, evacuation, baggage and activities such as skiing and snowboarding. Also, you can buy, extend and claim online even after you’ve left home.
So what does it cost?
Top 5 questions
World Nomads works with some of the best insurers in the world.
Here are a few things to consider when choosing your insurance:
- Cancellation: it’s no fun if you fall ill before you leave and can not go on your trip. To claim though, you have to buy your insurance policy when you buy your trip. Not all insurance policies cover cancellation, so please read the policy wording relevant to you carefully
- Lost or Stolen Gear: most travel insurance policies have a per-item value limit – make sure its high enough to cover your gear or choose a policy that allows you to increase the limit.
- Medical expenses over and above evacuation: check that your policy includes emergency treatment while away and transport to bring you home – remembering that insurance providers will usually insist on getting you home as soon as you are fit enough to travel.
- Adventurous Activities: look carefully at what your policy covers – you may find that you are not covered to do all of the adventurous activities that you are planning while you’re away.
- Personal Liability: Accidents happen. If it’s found to be your fault and someone decides to sue you, you want to be covered.
Leave a Positive Footprint
Make a tangible difference. When you buy a World Nomads policy you have the chance to donate a small amount to a sustainable travel project. You can then follow the progress of this project, from the raising of funds all the way through to completion, through the Footprints web site.
100% of funds raised through the Footprints program go directly to the projects. See our latest projects